This has been a wish for several years. I’ve been promised a few, and tried to organise a couple after work, but there are many reasons why I think that a daytime hack day at the office would be a good thing for everyone, including the business.
In the office environment where I now work our job is to deliver projects. This means that other people decide what projects we work on. The beauty of a hack day is seeing how the team will (hopefully) be very enthusiastic at the prospect of building something they choose to.
These are a couple reasons why I think office hack days should exist:
- The balance of control would also be firmly in the hands of the developers.
- Watch the team conceive, organise, plan and present everything without PM or BA involvement.
- It’ll show the full potential of the team members.
- Cheaper than an away-day or team-building event.
- They may come up with some awesome ideas.
There are probably 101 other reasons why hack days are good things so if you have any, post them in the comments.